Sugar Cookie Bars
(for valentines I use the heart shaped cupcake sprinkles and the valentine nonpareil)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional (1 1/2 cups finely chopped Hershey’s candy cane kisses, about 45 kisses) or sprinkle seasonal sprinkles or other cupcake toppings into batter before spreading on cookie sheet
- Optional (1/8 tsp of mint flavoring)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk
- (optional) finely chopped Hershey’s candy cane kisses or other cupcake toppings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper or spray it with cooking spray.
- For the bars: In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until combined.
- Gently fold in the chopped Hershey kisses.
- Press dough into the baking dish and bake for 16 minutes or until edges begin to have a slight touch of golden brown. They are not as good if they are overcooked.
- Remove from oven and let the bars cool in the pan.
- For the frosting: Beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until creamy. The mixture may seem dry at first but will become creamy after being beat for a while. Add a tablespoon of milk at a time until the frosting reaches the consistency you desire. Frost cooled bars. Sprinkle with additional chopped candy cane kisses or other toppings.