“SweetHeart” Short Bread Sugar Cookies
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups flour
- for Red Velvet dough add 2T Red Velvet Baking Emulsion
- for Vanilla Dough add 1½ tsp Vanilla
- Cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and continue to beat until incorporated.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add dry ingredients to the butter sugar mixture and mix until a soft dough just forms.
- Make one batch of the Red Velvet Dough and set aside, then make the vanilla batch and set aside.
- Wrap dough up in either tin foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for at least four hours.
- When you are ready to bake your cookies, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cut 1/4th inch thick shapes as desired.
- Place cookies on a lined baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes until tops are puffy and bottoms are lightly golden.